Tuesday, April 20, 2021

Screenprinting on Copper












With a cautious and limited reopening, I was granted access to the printmaking studio at Martha Street Studio (thank you, thank you, thank you!), which has been closed to artists since last fall due to Covid-19. There are a few processes I can't do at home, such as etching my plates, doing some aquatint (I need good ventilation for that), exposing some screens and screenprinting. I did as much prep work at home as possible, so I hopefully will be able to etch all my plates within the next week or two. One of the etching processes I utilize more and more is screenprinting an acrylic resist onto a copper plate. Rather than needling the plate in a traditional way, i.e. drawing an image with a steel needle through a hard ground coating, I create a drawing with a medium of my choice, like grease marker, ink washes, chalk, etc. I then scan my drawing, invert and flip it, and print out a stencil, which I then expose onto a screen. This allows me to work with a much broader range of mark making in etching and, in the case of these plates, use a bolder line to give some of my figures a stronger presence in my prints. That's the plan anyways...let's see if it'll work. Here is a small video of the process (printing missionary on horseback): 



No comments:

Post a Comment

Re-Membering

Re-Membering. Intaglio, Chine-Collé. 45cm x 45cm. 2022.  Re-Membering is the twelfth and final print in my artist's book. I wanted to e...